The P4 Project is open to participation by any individual or organization willing and able to make an active and material contribution to the following objectives:
- Build a thriving open source community dedicated to the use and improvement of the P4 language.
- Utilize P4 to describe how a forwarding plane should process packets.
- Promote standardization and improvement of the P4 language
- Enable industry participants to develop new technologies that function in accordance with the specification.
- Benefit consumers and the industry by facilitating adoption of the P4 language.
Participation is all about getting started. We recommend you start by joining appropriate mailing lists and getting your hands dirty with the code.
The P4 mailing lists are:
- p4-announce : general admin list: meeting schedules, announcements of significant contributions (low-volume, subscribe here)
- p4-dev : active list for coders and users of P4 (subscribe here)
- p4-discuss : open list for all issues that aren’t directly related to development/code (subscribe here)
- p4-design : open list for discussing design of the P4 language (subscribe here)
P4 is a project hosted by the Open Networking Foundation (ONF). ONF Membership is not required to participate in P4 activities, but there are a few ways to more fully engage with the ONF community.
You can get recognized as an ONF Collaborator if you propose an active contribution and/or just let us know about where and how you have been active. Click here for more information on becoming an ONF Collaborator.
ONF Membership allows organizations to more fully support P4 and the ONF’s activities. It also provides access to member-only activities and resources. You can learn more here about becoming an ONF member.